Natural Environment

Combining efforts to invest in protecting and preserving our natural resources to keep Hawaii, Hawaii.

Hawaii Business Change Reports

Saving an Essential Part of Hawaii

Hawaii as we know it is at risk from climate change, eroding beaches, marine debris and many other threats. Here are five stories on how we can prepare for the present and the future, and what individuals, businesses, nonprofits and governments are doing to protect our natural environment.

Hawaii Community Foundation has partnered with Hawaii Business magazine to produce the CHANGE Reports.

The Data

The CHANGE framework is a curated set of statewide data that begins to identify the gaps where help in our community is needed, opportunities where help will do the most good, and areas where sustainable data need to be gathered. By working from a common set of sustainable data, our community can create shared goals and consistently and reliably track the progress of our collective efforts over time.

Strengthened Climate Resilience

Strengthened Climate Resilience

The data for this subsector is calculated through three major indicators:

Built Environment

  • HI State Baseline Data Point: Hawaii received an overall D+ grade on the state of its infrastructure
  • Reference Data Point: U.S.: D+
  • Source: American Society of Civil Engineers (2017)

Renewable Energy

  • HI State Baseline Data Point: Generating 27.6% renewable energy in the electricity sector
  • Reference Data Point: Not available
  • Source: Hawaii Green Growth, Aloha+ Challenge (2018)

Fresh Water

  • HI State Baseline Data Point: Since 2016, 11 million gallons per day (mgd) of fresh water capacity has been added to Hawaii's existing supply through conservation, reuse, and recharge efforts
  • Reference Data Point: Not available
  • Source: Hawaii Community Foundation (2019)
Sustainable Agriculture, Fisheries, and Food Systems

Sustainable Agriculture, Fisheries, & Food Systems

The data for this subsector is calculated through three major indicators:

Local Food Production

  • HI State Baseline Data Point: 104.6 million pounds of food is produced locally every year
  • Reference Data Point: 2008: 133.5 million pounds
  • Source: Hawaii Green Growth, Aloha+ Challenge (2018)

Local Food Consumption

  • HI State Baseline Data Point: 11.6% of Hawaii's food supply is from local sources with the remaining 88.4% from imported sources
  • Reference Data Point: Not available
  • Source: Hawaii Green Growth, Aloha+ Challenge (2018)

Food Systems

  • HI State Baseline Data Point: Under construction
  • Reference Data Point: Under construction
  • Source: Under construction
Natural Resource Protection and Revitalization

Natural Resource Protection and Revitalization

The data for this subsector is calculated through three major indicators:

Ocean

  • HI State Baseline Data Point: Hawaii's Ocean Health Index score is 74 out of 100 which represents a healthy ocean that provides maximum benefits (measures food provision, coastal protection, biodiversity, economies & livelihoods, sustainable tourism, and sense of place)
  • Reference Data Point: Not available
  • Source: Hawaii Ocean Health Index (2014)

Land

  • HI State Baseline Data Point: 140,000 acres or 17% of native watershed forest is under high-level protection
  • Reference Data Point: 2011: 90,000 acres
  • Source: Hawaii Green Growth, Aloha+ Challenge (2018)

Invasive Species Control

  • HI State Baseline Data Point: 55% of the 150 action items in Hawaii's Statewide Biosecurity Plan for invasive species control are being implemented
  • Reference Data Point: Not available
  • Source: Hawaii Green Growth, Aloha+ Challenge (2018)
Join the Movement

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.

— MARGARET MEAD