Ask the Charitable Question
Why should you talk to your clients about charitable giving?
According to the Philanthropic Institute, clients want their advisors to be more proactive in helping them plan their philanthropy. Many high-wealth individuals increasingly expect their advisors to be able to assist them with strategic philanthropy and to bring up the subject as part of the initial planning.
We have also found that when professional advisors work with clients to personalize their charitable giving, it strengthens and extends the client relationship.
Here are some questions that professional advisors have used with success:
- Beyond family and business, what is most important to you?
- Have you ever considered what kind of personal legacy you want to leave?
- Do you currently volunteer for or financially support any charitable organizations?
- When you think about the challenges facing your community, what are your major concerns?
- In the future, how do you want to be remembered by the community? By your family?